Skip to main content Portal State Agency Listing

New York Vista
Law and Order
Consumer Info
Career / Employment
Licenses & Credentials
Recreation / Tourism
Tax Information
How Do I?
Open Meeting Webcasts
  Health > Alcoholism / Substance Abuse Information
  Related Links   


Question How do I talk to my children about drugs?

Answer Parents can be influential in preventing teenage drug use by talking to their children about the dangers in using alcohol and other drugs and by remaining actively engaged in their childrens' lives. Even after children enter high school, parents can stay involved in schoolwork, recreation and social activities. Research shows that appropriate parental monitoring can reduce future drug use.

Ten Steps to help your child say 'No':

  1. Talk with your child about alcohol and other drugs; know the facts and challenge the myths.
  2. Learn to really listen to your child.
  3. Help your child feel good about himself or herself.
  4. Help your child develop strong values.
  5. Be a good model or example.
  6. Help your child deal with peer pressure.
  7. Set family policies that help your child say 'no.'
  8. Encourage healthy, creative activities.
  9. Team up with other parents.
  10. Know what to do if you suspect a problem.

For more information about alcohol and other drugs or what you can do, visit the NYS Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services (OASAS). You can also contact OASAS at:

OASAS Office of Communications
1450 Western Avenue
Albany, NY 12203-3526
General Information: 518-473-3460

Find help and hope for alcoholism, drug abuse or problem gambling,
1-877-8-HOPENY (1-877-846-7369).

Back More Info 
NYS OASAS Publications

Publications/Resources from the New York State
Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services
Contact: Communications
Phone: 518-457-8299 or Fax: 518-485-6014

NYS Home Page | Accessibility | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer