Skip to main content Portal State Agency Listing

New York Vista
Law and Order
Consumer Info
Career / Employment
Licenses & Credentials
Recreation / Tourism
Tax Information
How Do I?
Open Meeting Webcasts
  Licenses & Credentials > Alcohol / Substance Abuse Credentials
  Related Links   


Question How do I become a Credentialed Prevention Professional (CPP) or a Credentialed Prevention Specialist (CPS)?

Answer On June 19, 2000, regulations were adopted which created the Credentialed Prevention Professional (CPP) and the Credentialed Prevention Specialist (CPS). In order to become a CPP or a CPS in New York State, you must:

  • be at least 18 years of age;
  • have earned at least a High School Diploma or a General Equivalency Diploma (GED) [CPS] or a Bachelor's Degree [CPP];
  • reside or work in New York State at least 51 percent of the time;
  • meet specific competency and ethical conduct requirements;
  • meet specific work experience requirements;
  • meet minimum education and training requirements; and
  • pass the International Certification and Reciprocity Consortium/Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse, Inc. (IC&RC) prevention examination.

Each credential is valid for a period of two years. A renewal application will be sent at least 120 days prior to the credential expiration date. The completed renewal application and any required supporting documentation must be submitted to OASAS at least 90 days prior to the credential expiration date.

As a member of the IC&RC, OASAS offers reciprocity to prevention practitioners who hold a current, valid certificate, credential, or license from another IC&RC certifying body. In addition, CPPs/CPSs are eligible for reciprocity from other IC&RC member boards.

For more information regarding teh CPP/CPS, go to the OASAS Credentialing Pages or contact:

New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services
Credentialing Unit
1450 Western Avenue
Albany, NY 12203-3526

Back More Info 
Prevention Counselor Credentialing in New York State

Regulations and requirements for the CPP and CPS credentials.
Contact: Credentialing Unit
Phone: 1-800-482-9564

NYS Home Page | Accessibility | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer