Skip to main content Portal State Agency Listing

New York Vista
Law and Order
Consumer Info
Career / Employment
Licenses & Credentials
Recreation / Tourism
Tax Information
How Do I?
Open Meeting Webcasts
  Business > Incorporation
  Related Links   


Question I am establishing a corporation that is providing educational services. Do I need approval from the Education Department before filing a proposed corporate document with the Department of State?

Answer Yes. You must obtain the Commissioner's consent for corporate filings if the proposed corporate name or purposes indicate or imply that the corporation will engage in activities related to education of any kind, or activities related to any of the professions required to be licensed under Title VIII of the Education Law.
Before filing the document with the Department of State, send the original and one copy of the proposed corporate document to the New York State Education Department, Office of Counsel, State Education Building Room 148, Albany, NY 12234. Please include a check or money order in the amount of $10 for a Not-for-Profit Corporation or $20 for a Business Corporation, made payable to the New York State Education Department. In general, the processing time is 7 business days. However, additional time may be necessary if the particular corporate activities require substantive review by other offices within the Department.
A list of these professions can be found at the Web site maintained by the Office of the Professions for the State Education Department.

Back More Info 
Office of Professions - List of licensed professions under Education Law Ti

Link to list of licensed professions under Education Law
Contact: Office of Counsel
Phone: (518) 474-6400

NYS Home Page | Accessibility | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer